Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Saturday, March 30, 2013

More Money, Less Rich

 

The story of

Mr. Name I.S. Withheld

 

When I was a young teacher earning 2330$ a month, I bought a piece of land worth 17,000$, owned a bicycle that cost me 950$, fed myself, sent 500$ to my parents every month and eventually built a house whose market value was over 40,000$ over a period of two years. In two years of earning a total of 55,920$ in salary, my net worth was more than my total earnings over that period of time. I was a simple teacher.

 

As a corporate executive my fortunes changed dramatically with a rise in income to 14,000$. Over the next two years, I bought a car that gave me no end of problems. Moved into an up market house and furnished it with all things good. And went into steadily rising debt. I was a fast rising executive with a budding career. And why not?...

 

But this picture disturbed me. Try as I might I could not get out the vicious cycle of growing financial crisis even though my income increased to the dizzy heights of 60,000$ per month. Despite earning more I was actually reaping less…?

 

When I eventually lost my job at a high point in my career to take on more satisfying work earning much less money, I realized how much I had wasted on things that were not adding value to my life. I kep thinking,"If only I had continued with the prudence I had when a teacher and merged that with the money I earned as a corporate executive I could have done more with less".

 

Does this story sound familiar?

 

Allan Bukusi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation