Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Monday, January 14, 2013

A Personal JUBILEE

 
KENYA @ 50 - A Personal JUBILEE
Kenya was born at some time between 1962 and 1964 at a convergent time in history. The decline of the British Empire, after the Second World War, and the heroic struggle of our people gave birth to a proud new nation. The winds of change ushered in freedom for a people under another nation to serve their own nation. Kenya was born free. I was born free. Our spirit has always been free.
With Kenyatta at the helm, the great ship set sail around the world. By 1972, Kenya's global running brand was set in gold. All it took was the determination of a few good men on the athletics track.  In 1978, the baton passed on to Moi. It was a first in terms of peaceful change. But, by 1982, there was trouble in the hold. However, by the grace of God, the people stayed on course. By 1992, the winds had changed and the people had switched off self-rule for democracy.
Coalition was something new, but that came in 2002. With Kibaki as captain, it would take almost ten years to vote in a new constitution. By 2012, the Jubilee had come too soon. 50 years seems long, but I had been there all along. Kenya is my twin. We were born with about 9 million others. We have changed much with time. I have some white hair now and many people of the nine are now history. The cars have changed and the roads are wider. But now our women have won the Nobel Prize for planting trees.
There will also be a new president soon. But we have been down that road before. I want my twin to outlive me. I am not sure I will see another jubilee this side of heaven, most who see a jubilee, see only one. So I am glad that I share mine with my country. Many changes are yet to be. But I pray one change will never come; that our people will never lose our freedom. May the gift of our jubilee be that every child be born free. Free to serve and enjoy this land in every county as one country, as I have done, for many jubilees to come.
Allan Bukusi


O God of all creation
Bless this our land and nation
Justice be our shield and defender
May we dwell in unity,
 peace and liberty
Plenty be found within our borders
 
Let one and all arise
With hearts both strong and true
Service be our earnest endeavour
And our homeland of Kenya
Heritage of splendour
Firm may we stand to defend
 
Let all with one accord
In common bond united
Build this our nation together
And the glory of Kenya
The fruit of our labour
Fill every heart with thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation