Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Dreams Never Die...

  Dreams Never Die... One thing I have found out in this life, is that Dreams Never Die... It is people who never begin, don't do what i...

Saturday, August 31, 2024

A Passion for Shoes

 


a Passion for Shoes

I listened to a young man with a passion for shoes. He raved about shoes from the moment we met at the junction leading out of town. I wouldn’t have given him mind except that he knew me and I was walking in the same direction as he. It would be a mile until our paths parted. Save for the inauspicious ambush, I had hoped to entertain my own solitude and console myself of all the woes I had come through recently. Nothing else mattered to this young man except what he had to say. This young man enthusiastically went ahead to tell me about his vision of opening a boutique shop in the exclusive arena of an uptown backstreet alcove known only to a classy executive few. I had no option but to listen. He was wearing designer shoes, trousers, waistcoat, croc belt and skin tight shirt that etched out his trim figure. The kind fashion models have. This is not to mention his in-style haircut to match the polaroid reflectors. I could hardly not notice these things about him. He was graphically walking beside, in front and dancing around me as we walked. I briefly wondered how long it took him every morning to put on this designer look.

So, let’s start this lesson in enterprise from the beginning. He knew that he needed cash to start his business. He had a job which would help him bulk up savings cash over the next six months. He was in no hurry to leave the job, but needed to think about his own life and where it was going from here. So he was doing his research on rare, quality, high definition shoes. He told me the buyers of such shoes are conscientious bank and other institution employees who are mindful of their career image, visual presentation and consider elegant attire as part of career development, definition and competition on the corporate ladder. But there is another elite squad of middle and senior members of society, mainly men, who dress by taste, choice, gold watch and a touch of class. They have a standing budget to buy and wear the  good things in life. But there is another dispersed group who buy what they see. They don’t have to come to the shop. He called them GenZ! He already has 1,500 following his online contacts and Instagram page. By flashing one exquisite shoe on the net, he his sure to get at minimum 500 hits and an inevitable sale. But what will he do if the demand escalates out of control. This is the reason that he must have cash to back up his dive into enterprise

He has also done a great deal of research in identifying and contacting suppliers, ancient authentic art-shoe makers, tailors and fitters. He is lining up the back end of his business even as his front end is clearly defined. The back end is ready to support him. His fear is how to outsmart the competition. He has a few ideas. He needs to create an unmatched brand. A brand woven into his persona and desire to satisfy his customers. His greatest regret would be to let his customers down. He really believes this is what bring down businesses. He needs to wait, but he also knows he can’t wait too late if he is to build a regional brand before he reaches his mid-thirties. He is confident he has made all the necessary contacts. All he needs is cash. So I turn to him and say, “It seems you have already started”. He says “well, yes, but catch me in a couple of years when I open my boutique. You know, a boutique is all about location. You need to have six months’ rent to get the shop then you have to have enough stock to pay you back before those six months are up. That is why I have to be super careful”.

Then, at the bend in the road, he said, “this is where I branch off, see you, and thank you so much for your book, I guess you are going to the site? “. I said, “yes” and we parted ways. He to his vision and me to my solitude. But, my thoughts were no longer about my woes. My thoughts were locked on my site. In our previous meetings, I had told the young man about my business. He seemed to have absorbed it like a sponge although in our one mile walk I hardly spoke a full sentence without him coming back with a direction, rebuttal and justification for his cause.  Alone with my thoughts as I ambled towards my site, I started to reflect on how much I had learned from him about enterprise! All you need to start your business is half as much passion as this young man had. Only a few people I know have such passion for enterprise. But there are deeper enterprise questions here that demand answers. How much have you prepared the back end of your vision for your front end impact?! If anything, it would be a joy to work with this young man and even have him work for you as he pursues his dreams. He is a real person. If you would like to contact him drop me a line here… You may not think so but, this young man is living and working on his vision. Perhaps the real question he presents us, so called entrepreneurs, is; how much passion do you have for our own business? How much do you really know about it? What does your front and back end look like? where is your site?

Allan Bukusi

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the passion of the young man whose future plan is to own a boutique. He has a well-laid-out plan that seems great.
    What I have come to know is that owning a business is different from running it. While one may have big dreams for that business, it’s important to start small and allow it to grow as you learn how to manage it. It’s a skill that you won't acquire in class but through EXPERIENCE.
    Thank you Allan Bukusi for sharing this.God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing there Sir Allan.

    I normally like to say 'If you don't love what you do, no one will love you doing it for them.'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in this conversation