Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Help me say Goodbye to Joe



Have you ever met a person you could not pick a fight with? A person who will give you everything you ask of them? A person who will gladly give you their last shilling, pray for you and walk away with nothing. A man with such big faith that he could go register for a university course without money and believe that he will walk away with a degree. A man whose hand could fit two of yours and leave a bit of space in between. Have you ever met a man who never stopped smiling, giving, sharing and just being himself – straight as an arrow, reliable as the sun. A man who did not know how to tell a lie. Joe was such a man. He did not know how to give the impression he was under pressure. Joe protected everybody from anybody. I would have introduced you to the man save for the fact that his life was tragically cut down in his prime by another.  You are probably wondering who  Joe Orlale is. Joe is not the guy sitting at the piano – that's me 1985. Joe, as you can imagine is the Giant in the back. That is where Joe thrived. In the back, looking out for everyone else - keeping the peace. Taking care of family, friends, children, rich, poor, old, young and people who never knew each other before they met Joe. That was Joe – annoyingly humble, peaceful and relaxed. Sounds impossible, but it is true. Big Hand, Big Heart and Big Faith. That was Joe. Joe is in Heaven now. Singing in the back of the Angels choir. I just know he is making space for everyone. That should make me happy, but I mourn from the depths of my soul because we still need such great men among us. Good bye Joe - till we meet again.


16 comments:

  1. A man who did his act in silence is shouted from the mountaintop.

    Hongera hongera.

    Your life will continue being out illumination in many ways.

    Murimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe's smile lit up every room he walked into and he asked after each and every member of my family so he could send big hugs always. We shall sincerely and truly miss you "big man". Sing and dance with the angels bro till we meet again.
    Love Callie Odula

    ReplyDelete
  3. My principal, my leader, my pastor, I'm shocked but not, you were Spirit, no one can take that away from you, you'll continue living without the body. Your work in this world will reign for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe's large handshake would always engulf my hand. It would always fascinate me. The compassion he expressed in life will last forever. Violet Bukusi

    ReplyDelete
  5. He would be in Mombasa when I was an overseer around 2002.He will give me father son counsel and then get into the bus to Kisumu.He was a mentor a brother and a father.He would not mind say hi to many of my friends whenever we walked around in Mombasa.He lived the Christ faith.He has joined the clouds of witnesses cheering us now to finish well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I affirm all the above as true. Shalom,Shalom, Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends are friends forever
    If the Lord's the Lord of them...
    Though it's hard to let you go
    In the Father's hands we know
    That a lifetime's not too long
    To live as friends.(Michael W Smith)

    Fare thee well Elder Joe aka Big Joe.
    It has been very tough to come into terms with your departure.
    I believe you prepared well.. You ran your race; We are still pressing on.
    Thanks for your love. We will miss you for real.
    Even so, one day we shall meet on the beautiful shores.

    Love,
    Flo & Ade Jara


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true friends Florence and Jara. This is a powerful poem about a man who Joe was to us all. I appreciate these sentiments..

      Delete
  8. I have just thinking to myself, Joe was the most simplest and down to earth person I have come across. He was very generous and practical in his approach. The nature of death was very painful. I will miss him always esp when I visit Kisumu in the days to come. Let's pray for Mama Ruth and children. Peter Kitheka.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe was a mentor in my teen years and also inspired me to be a leader. His Charisma and grace taught me how to be a gentle giant and always engage with people. Thank you mentor for shaping my life.. Jemo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fare thee well my friend, mentor, cheer leader and co-worker in the Vineyard. Your zeal, passion and love for the Lord is unequalled. A trailblazer of our generation. A lover of Jesus, family, youth and Cotton. Fare thee well, Till we meet again at Jesus feet. To Ruth,Josphine and Kepha, the Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to Him and they are safe. We love you and pray for you. Peace be still.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fare thee well my friend, mentor, cheer leader and co-worker in the Vineyard. Your zeal, passion and love for the Lord is unequalled. A trailblazer of our generation. A lover of Jesus, family, youth and Cotton. Fare thee well, Till we meet again at Jesus feet. To Ruth,Josphine and Kepha, the Name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to Him and they are safe. We love you and pray for you. Peace be still.
    Judy & Silas Kibet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I confirm of the above of my brother Joe. Wonderful grace and incomparable to another. Mutyo missing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 KJV
    Inspiring tribute to a great man. Joe may no longer be with us, yet memories of our experiences with him will continue to bless us as he always did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. iworked with him iam shocked. what happened.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in this conversation