Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Thursday, August 2, 2012

WHEN TO QUIT

WHEN TO QUIT

Most people struggle with "when to quit" until retirement. And then never quit. And then just sort of die on the job. So when my friend Anthony said he was throwing in the towel, I congratulated him and asked him about his plans. Apart from letting him know that he was one of the bravest men I know, I asked him what his family made of his decision. When he told me that his family was in agreement, I knew for a fact, that he was on to something.  I then asked him if he was ready to go. He said he had been planning the move for several years and it was time to go. He had saved up enough money to keep his family alive for a year. I then asked him what he wanted to do. He said he would do what he had always wanted to do "write and speak".  When I asked him why he was quitting such a well paying job, he said, "I got what I came for, time is up, I need to go". Most of us never get to quit because we don't have a plan, a purpose or a project for life. We don't even know why we have a job.  When you have an answer for these four questions, it will be time to quit!

Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation