Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Monday, May 21, 2012

EXCHANGE YOUR JOB FOR A BAR OF GOLD

EXCHANGE YOUR JOB FOR A BAR OF GOLD
Rich came into my office with a smug look on his face. His appointment letter was on my desk, but for some reason I had delayed to talk to him about it. Anyway that was not the reason he was here. When I asked what he was smiling about, out came a story like nothing I had ever heard before.
“I met two herdsmen on my way to town. They had found a bar of gold, but didn’t know what it was. They told me they had picked it up in town and figured it was something important when the owner came back looking for it. Please give me 5000 so I can buy it from them and sell it for 140000. It will be the easiest money I have ever made”
I looked at Rich in silence for a while. Then told him the folly of the gold story he had just told me. He told me he needed the money to go to university.  When I told him that such a move could even cost him his life, he would not believe me. After all, he had done no wrong. If anyone had done wrong, it was the herdsmen who should have returned the gold. All he needed was the money.  
Most of us will never come across herdsmen with gold in our lifetime, but all of us will come across golden opportunities. I don’t know if integrity is worth its weight in gold, but one thing I never told Rich, as he left my office that day was that he had just lost his job.
Allan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation