Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

When the teacher does not teach...


Last evening I got some distressing news from a network associate who told me her dream of empowering graduates with knowledge and skills to excel in their careers. She was backtracked by budget limitations. She regretted that she would not be able to carry out the good that she intended for herself and her colleagues. I could feel the sadness that comes with rejection in the tone of her email. The moment I read the script I knew that someone had threatened and tried to kill her dream. While this unfortunate incident happened more than 2000 miles away from where I was currently training in Africa, the magnitude of the dying dream struck me as incorrigible. Why must the dream have to die -was my hearts cry.

Then I read the second part of the story. After the tears and the sorrow, she said … I am called to this, I cannot let it die - the dream cannot die with me. I must let it be. There was a flicker of hope that comes with a calling. The tugging at my spirit was impossible to ignore. I knew I must stand with this dream. For her dream is part of me. When dreams die everyone suffers loss. Many of those who suffer the loss of a dream have no idea that they are suffering from the loss of a dream. This is why I must dream the dreams of others. And do all that is in my power to do. If the teacher does not teach then thirty students suffer, then thirty families suffer, thirty communities lose hope, the next generation of in that village will have to wait for another teacher to be born grow up and 30 years later sow the dream again. The nation will suffer a lack of engineers, bankers and nurses all because one teacher would not teach the class that housed the dreams of a nation.

Do not let dreams die. Never give up on a good thing. You never know how many people are depending on you to keep the dream alive. I have had the privilege of being a teacher and receiving calls from students far and wide. There is not greater satisfaction, fulfillment than touching a life, planting a seed and making tomorrow better. But this is not about teachers it is about dreamers in every profession. It is about every parent, and every friend that can make a difference - making a difference! And so a word to all those who make it their business to kill dreams I say woe unto you for you cannot live your dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation