Allan's corporate training, leadership research and empowering books on personal development impact thousands of lives across Africa.

Search This Blog

Featured Post

Is this Ubuntu or Emotional Intelligence?

  This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA-NC I recently wrote a journal paper on how to integrate strategy and culture for ...

Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year - 2017!

Happy New Year - 2017

Warm greetings from this part of the world - January 1 2017. What comes to mind as I think about this year is “New beginnings”. It may sound obvious that a new year should mark a new beginning, but many people will continues as they have done for the past year save the change of date. It is only those who make a deliberate choice to use the opportunities that this year presents that will enjoy a new beginning.

As an individual, I must examine my circumstances and identify where a new beginning is necessary in order to conserve and focus my energies and attention on those things that I want to make a difference in. There are those that I work and live with and can significantly influence. but much as I may want to change their world, they must take the initiative - I can only encourage and help them achieve their new beginning. Then there are new beginnings that I am part of and have very little influence over such as the National General Election in Kenya.  If I do nothing the outcome will affect me. If I do something the outcome will still affect me though I can influence a small change. However, since I have purposed to take advantage of opportunity then the National Elections present me an opportunity to add my voice to the voice of the people for a better future. So you will read a number of political articles in this blog while the season (read opportunity) lasts.

I have already wished you a happy new year. Nonetheless, the last paragraph sound like a challenge. I guess that is what a new year does. It gives you a chance to change, begin again, but an option to continue to do the things you normally do (and this may not be a bad thing). The season of good will, forgiveness and acceptance and resolution remains in the air for but a short season. You need to make your choices today quickly because in less than a week or two the season will and form many it will be business as usual – thus the opportunity for a new beginning will be under seal for another 364 days.

Allan Bukusi

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in this conversation